Suddenly, a flash of red streaked through the air, slamming into Lightning and knocking her off her paws. Belinda leaped up and gazed at the newcomer. It was Devin!
He gave a deep growl at Lightning and Thunder, who now realized that the odds were against them. Devin was a ferocious fighter, and the siblings sensed that. Thunder shot a glance at his sister, then bounded away into the forest. Now outnumbered three to one, Lightning was likely to flee as well. Sure enough, she snarled with frustration before her sleek, dark form melted into the thick foliage.
“They won't be back anytime soon.” said Devin with a nod of satisfaction.
“Cowards,” muttered Olivia. There were numerous cuts and gashes all over her thin body, and her newly healed scars from her last fight had reopened, sending trickles of blood down her face and neck.
Belinda was reminded of her own wounds, and she winced at the sharp pain in her left shoulder where Thunder had bruised it earlier.
“Thank you very much, sir,” stammered Olivia breathlessly. “We thought we were done for.”
“Why did you come, anyway?” asked Belinda.
“After you left, I did some thinking,” Devin said, swishing his auburn tail back and forth. “I felt bad for just ignoring a wolf in need. I realized that simply because I have problems, that doesn't mean I ignore others who are in trouble. I am proud of your bravery and compassion, Belinda.” Belinda blushed, suddenly feeling shy.
“I followed your scent and your tracks in the snow until I arrived here, and just in time, it would seem.”
Belinda dipped her head in gratitude. “We are very grateful to you, Devin.” she said.
The three wolves spent time nursing their wounds before Olivia said, “I should really be getting back to my pack. I'll run back to get James, then we'll be on our way. Thank you both so much for everything you've done.”
Belinda smiled at her. “It was a pleasure knowing you, Olivia. We hope your pack will grow strong again and thrive.” Olivia nodded her thanks and bounded away.
Devin and Belinda slipped through the trees as snow began to fall once again. Although Belinda was a bit exhausted from the battle, she felt better knowing that she had helped in bringing justice to another wolf.
Devin stopped and lifted his head. “You smell that?” he asked, tilting his head toward her. Belinda sniffed the air as well.
“Rabbit,” she confirmed, giving a smile to her pack leader. The two of them silently scanned the forest until they located the scent's source, a plump rabbit nibbling on something. They easily caught it, and found even more prey on their way home.
As it grew dark, they stepped into the camp with pride, carrying plenty of food. The delighted pack feasted that night, or at least it seemed like a feast during such a meager season.
When Belinda finally settled in her den, her heart felt light. Snowflakes continued to gently swirl and settle on the tree branches, blanketing the forest in a hushed, serene whiteness as she drifted into a contented slumber.
Great story! I hope you start another soon! So, are thy catching more food because spring is comming? Man, when Olivia said she was going back for James I thought for sure that Lightning and Thunder were going to be back at the cave threatening him!!! :O Saying something like "Give us control of the pack or we'll do something else to your son!" lol! btw, in your poll I voted for Characters/Art, but I love storis and comics too! (and plushies!) I voted for that one because there was no multiple choice.
ReplyDeleteWinter Wolves, I love it! I love the whole story and plot! You should draw a cover for your story. That would be really cool (as in cool like, awesome! not like, brrrr freezing cool, lol)!
ReplyDelete*Allie*
ps
if there were a multiple choice on your poll, i would have chosen all of them, cause i love everything you do on your blog... just wanted you to know that!