Sunday, March 6, 2011

Wolf Story Part 2

Sorry I didn't get this up sooner, but I got sick over the weekend. I didn't have time to do an illustration for this part. (Check out my earlier post for Part 1 if you haven't read it yet.) Hope you enjoy!


The figure slowly emerged. It was a thin-looking she-wolf, crouched protectively over a tiny pup. Scars crisscrossed her snout and neck. “Who are you? Where did you come from?” asked Belinda, stepping towards the starved she-wolf.
“My name's Olivia.” she replied in a small, raspy voice. Gesturing towards the pup with her tail, she added, “This is my pup, James.”
“What pack do you belong to? I've never seen you before.” Olivia said nothing. “Um...do you need somewhere to stay?” asked Belinda. Instantly she regretted her offer. She knew adding another mouth to feed would only add to Devin's problems, but she didn't think it was right to just let this wolf starve without anyone to care for her or her pup.
Olivia's ears pricked up slightly. “Really?” Belinda nodded. “Yes. You can stay with our pack for the winter.” She picked up the rabbit she had dropped and motioned for Olivia and James to follow her. Olivia was close at her heels the entire trip back to camp.
When they slipped into the clearing, Belinda said, “You can rest in my den for now. I have to talk to someone first.”
After making sure Olivia and her son were settled, she made her way to Devin's den. He sat upright as she entered. “What is it, Belinda?” “Um...well...I just wanted to say that...I caught a rabbit.”
“Great. Is that all?”
“Well, no. You see...I found a wolf out there...with her pup. She was starving and didn't have a pack, so I...”
Devin made a face. “The pack doesn't need another mouth to feed. But if you want to take care of her...you'll have to give her and her pup some of your rations.”
Belinda dipped her head gratefully. “I will, Devin. And thank you.” She left the cave with lighter spirits than she had entered with. Devin hadn't been as upset as she'd thought he'd be. She gave half of her rabbit to Olivia, who shared it with James. He bumped into his mother, sniffing around the den until he stumbled into the meat. That was when Belinda realized he was blind.
She felt awkward, but she wanted to know what was going on with this strange wolf and her pup. Olivia looked up and sensed that Belinda's curiosity. “I guess I've got a lot to explain, don't I?”
“You don't have to if you don't want to.” Belinda said quickly. “I think I owe you at least this much.” said Olivia. She lifted her head, and began her story.
“I came from a pack much farther north in the forest. Like most packs at this time of year, we were struggling to survive. My brother, Kyle, was the pack leader. A few weeks ago, he found out that two wolf siblings in our pack, Lightning and Thunder, had been secretly hunting and eating prey for themselves. As you know, the hunters are supposed to share their kill with the rest of the pack, particularly with pups and the elderly. Outraged, my brother confronted them. They seemed regretful and truly sorry for their actions, so he gave them another chance. But soon after, he discovered them hunting secretly again. This time, he decided to banish them from the pack.
“Later, Kyle and I were out hunting when Lightning and Thunder attacked us. That was when I realized that they wanted control of the pack. Since they had become the strongest of the pack, no one could oppose them. They...killed Kyle.”
Belinda interrupted to say, “Oh...I'm so sorry.” Olivia only continued her story.
“I fled and tried and warn the pack, but they beat me there and threatened to kill my son. I tried to fight them, but I was too weak and still in shock from Kyle's death. They clawed out James' eyes before I managed to get away.”
Belinda felt a sharp pang of sympathy for Olivia. For the second time that day, she said something without thinking first. “Those wolves need to be driven out. Maybe our pack can help you.”
Olivia timidly brushed the ground with her paw. “I don't want to be even more of a burden.” But Belinda wasn't willing to just let the matter go unresolved. She continued to offer her help to Olivia, until she finally agreed to let Belinda help her. Belinda consulted Devin, but he insisted that his own pack's needs came first. He did, however, give her permission to help Olivia. “Just make sure you come back alive,” Devin warned her. “I can't afford to lose any more hunters.”

2 comments:

  1. Woa... interesting... This is getting good! (But poor James!) I'm so excited to find out what happens next!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please, please! Keep going on with the story! I beg of you! (okay that was really weird of me, *giggle*) It's really awesome!
    *Allie*

    ReplyDelete