Thursday, March 3, 2011

Wolf Story Part 1

Sorry if you guys are getting burned out on wolves and plushies!! I'll start blogging about other stuff more. Anyway, I finished my wolf story for creative writing! I'm illustrating it, too! (Not all the pictures are done yet...) So, here is part one! (btw, this is the first draft, so there might be some mistakes!)

Belinda signaled Lucas with a flick of her tail. She caught sight of his amber eyes between the dense leaves of the bushes.
They both had their eyes on a rabbit sitting in between them. Their plan was for Belinda to attack the rabbit, but if she missed, Lucas would catch it before it could escape.
Silently, she crouched, tensing her muscles. Just as she leaped, the rabbit sensed her movement and dashed away. Belinda hit the ground with a thump. Lucas thrust out his head and snapped at it with his teeth, but the rabbit ducked and vanished into the brush.
Belinda got to her paws, furrowing her brow in frustration. “That was the biggest rabbit I've seen around here for a long time.”
Lucas nodded, then added, “I really thought we had him, too.”
She felt something cold and wet lightly touch her nose, then her back. She looked up. Tiny snowflakes were drifting through the branches above her, descending faster and thicker by the minute. “Great.” grumbled Belinda. “It just had to start snowing again.”
She bounded into the woods, and Lucas followed her. At least the snow helped her white fur blend with her surroundings. Lucas' stark black fur, on the other hand, made it hard for him to camouflage when it snowed. The two of them weaved soundlessly through the dense trees until they reached their pack's camp.
The other wolves looked up hopefully at their return. Belinda felt ashamed that they had returned without any food. Again. The other hunters were returning, as well. She caught sight of Nancy's light brown fur.
“No luck for you either, huh?” she asked. Belinda nodded regretfully.
Reginald's long snout appeared from within the bushes, followed by his bony gray shoulders. He was empty-handed, as well. Devin, the pack leader, shoved his way through the undergrowth and emerged into the clearing. His glossy reddish fur was dusted with snow, and a rabbit dangled limply from his jaws. She wondered if it was the one that had gotten away from her and Lucas earlier.
The pack had been forced to live on rabbits and beavers, since their main source of food, deer, had become scarce. Slowly, the wolves had begun to die off. Now there were only five wolves left in the pack.
Devin eyed his pack with disappointment. He said nothing, but they could all tell he wasn't too pleased with them. Belinda felt bad for letting him and the rest of the pack down, but there wasn't much they could do about it. They would just have to survive until spring came and the deer returned.
Belinda approached Devin and said, “I think I'm going to go out hunting again. I feel like I can do better this time.”
Devin nodded his approval. “Thank you, Belinda. I'd appreciate that.”
Belinda ducked out of the clearing, ignoring the empty rumbling in the pit of her stomach. She searched the woods for almost an hour, but found nothing. At last, she spotted a plump rabbit out of the corner of her eye. Immediately, she sprang at it and snatched it up with her jaws.
She was about to return to camp when something else caught her attention. A bluish-gray form was crouched in the bushes. Belinda let the rabbit drop from her jaws. “Who's there?” she called uncertainly.

4 comments:

  1. You are such a skilled writer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A cliff hanger!! I can't wait to find out what happens next!!! LOVE the picture!! It looks so frosty and almost.... minty...lol!! It would also look cold if you added breath coming out of her mouth! ;) Can't wait for the next wolf update!! Maybe you should make some of your wolves into plushies too! :O

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the idea of breath too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are such an amazing writer, Rach! I love all of the characters, and how you describe things! I can't wait to read part two....
    *Allie*

    ReplyDelete