Thursday, July 14, 2011

Book Review - "Firelight"

I hate it in books where the the main female character is obsessed with their love interest. I mean, even if the book is considered a romance, they don't have to be all like, "There's just something so different and magical about him...His very PRESENCE is intoxicating...He's like an addictive drug...I NEEEEEED HIIIIM!!!!" Seriously, girl, get ahold of yourself. You just met the guy. This is one of the main reasons I don't normally read romance stories.

But the Christy Miller series was good because they didn't take things so fast, and she admired Todd (the love interest) for his selfless heart and caring actions. But she wasn't obsessed with him. She asked God for guidance in their relationship, and the book wasn't completely and totally about their romance. That's the kind of romance story girls should be reading.

Forgive me, I digress. This post's topic is my opinion on the novel Firelight, by Sophie Jordan. It looked interesting from what I read on the library website. I didn't really trust their recommendations for teens, after having a bad experience with the book Shiver, by Maggie Stiefvater. But I thought, "Hey, I found about the Hunger Games through here. Maybe I'll give it a try. After all, it's about dragons. I like dragons."


The story's about a 16-year-old girl named Jacinda, who is part of a race of creatures called Draki, who have descended from dragons. For years, Draki have been pursued by dragon hunters, who sell their skins and body parts for their supposed magical properties. Jacinda is thrust into the world of humans when she is forced to flee the other Draki, and falls in love with a boy named Will. But Will is a dragon hunter, and she risks exposing her secret and endangering her family by being with him.

I can't believe I even finished this book. But I didn't think it was fair to review it if I hadn't even read it all the way through. It kind of had the same problem as Shiver. It had the potential to be a good fantasy novel, but it was ruined by drawn-out romantic scenes and total obsession with the love interest. Actually, Jacinda sort of had an excuse to want to be with Will. By being in the human world, the Draki part of her is dying, and being around him awakens the dragon inside her. Which is kind of weird...O_o The two of them kept getting into situations that would be tempting for couples...like being alone in a house together. I don't want teens reading this and thinking that's okay! Because it's not! Needless to say, I will not be checking out the sequel.

Actually, this book inspired me to write a good fantasy story, one that doesn't focus entirely on relationships! But my main character's love interest will be a strong, faithful man of God! Look out Lynnette...your future husband is in the works. :3

Oh! By the way, my printer/scanner is working again! I will be uploading art soon...I might have to break out some colored pencils...

2 comments:

  1. lol.... so it's basically twilight, only with dragons. The prey falling in love with her predator... lovely...
    seems like there are way too many stories like this.

    WOOOOOO LYNNETTE!!! GET A HUSBAND GIRL!!! lol.... I
    'm being weird... I'm feeling even goofier than my already goofy self...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes. I have had other bad experiences with the teen books from our library. It's really sad, actually. That authors think if they put f-bombs and detailed romance stuff in their books, teens will be atracted to them a lot more. And it does... atract teens to their books, I mean (that's the sad part;O ). But I'm happy with the books I've read by Robin Jones Gunn:) So I no longer need to constantly read reviews from the teen library and get them... (the books, i mean)!
    I'm so glad you're writing a fantasy!!!! That is so exciting:D I can't wait to hear more details on the story!
    we need to have a sleepover:)
    *Allie*

    ReplyDelete