Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Adventures in Dog-Sitting

"Mom, can we get a dog?"

I had asked that question for years. The answer was always no. But my wish finally came true! For about two weeks, that is. We're pet-sitting for our friends' Labs while they're on vacation. Our canine guests are named Jack and Indy.

I've never really noticed how dogs can have such different personalities. When we go on walks, Indy bounds down the street like a chocolate-colored torpedo. His tongue hangs out, and he seems to say, "oh boy oh boy oh boy this is so fun!! What's that? Ooh, that looks interesting. Hey, another dog! Hi, I'm Indy!" While Jack walks more slowly, practically shaking his yellow head and sighing, "little brothers..."

Of course, owning a dog (or dogs) comes with responsibilities. One of the more...unpleasant ones is picking up after them. (gulp!) I held my breath and bravely began the smelly task of scooping up the...uh...droppings
with a rake and dustpan. Mom called from the deck, "Still want a dog?"

When evening falls and it's time to settle down, the dogs sprawl out in the family room, heaving contented sighs. Jack curls up on the floor in a quiet corner of the room, while Indy plops himself down wherever one of us are sitting, as if to say, "Oh boy, can I sit here too? Thanks!" Then he makes himself comfortable resting on my feet.


I once read a story where a girl and her sister were arguing about dogs. I can't remember exactly what they said, but it went something like this:
Girl 1: "They're smelly, slobbery, and they shed everywhere!"
Girl 2: "What's not to love?"

Yes, I still want a dog. ;)

2 comments:

  1. Rachael, you have such a way with words! You captured Jack and Indy precisely. Thank you so much for taking such good care of them. I can tell they had a really fun time.

    *Love* your blog! Keep it up:)

    See you soon ~Heather

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your blog Rach!!! It's totally you! Keep it up!!! =^D
    Allie

    ReplyDelete